Saturday, January 9, 2010

another new years resolution

Loving books is hard on my pocket book sometimes. In December I started to think that in 2010 I would like to work on that. I do use paperbackswap.com and the library a lot but I also use amazon.com for those books I don't want to wait for. I probably only buy 10 or so books a year for me, and then I recycle those, but I also buy books for the kids, family, etc. So I am aiming at something in 2010:

Buying less books.

I would like to use paperbackswap.com and the library exclusively this year, and maybe a garage sale or two. This is good for two reasons. The first is it will save me money, and the second is it will save a bit of tree. I would like to start thinking more "green."

I may have to buy a book or two but I don't want to buy more then that. I may even give second hand books as gifts this year.

We'll see how I do.

1 comment:

God Made Playdough said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving second hand books for gifts! there is a little group of women at church who swap books. One person gets one and reads it and then writes her name in the front, then gives it to another lady, they read it and write their name in the front (so you don't give it back to someone who has allready read it), and so on. My sis in law started it (Matt's wife). It's nice because you get a new book to read that you don't have to buy and you don't have to find a place to store it. The downside is that you don't get to pick, you just get what's being passed down. I suppose you would get to pick if you were the one buying the books to start with. In our case, Pam's mom is part of a book club, so she's allways buying books and then giving them to Pam, etc. That works out nice.
I love getting books at garage sales! I usually get them there for .10 to .50. You can't beat that price! And if you're worried about germs you can put them in the freezer for a few hours and it sanitizes them.