Sunday, February 7, 2010

grocery budget/meal planning

Sometimes when I am feeling very responsible I make a meal plan for the paycheck month. Our month starts the 10th. So Thursday I plan to go grocery shopping with 20 meals planned out. I do not plan meals for every weekend, only an occasional Saturday. I also have a few nights that we will not be home for dinner and I don't plan a dinner that night and Wednesdays Ben doesn't make it home in time for dinner and the kids leave at 5:30ish so we do breakfast items.
I do so much better staying on track with my monthly grocery budget, knowing that I have meals planned. I can look ahead the night before and see what meat I need to take out of the freezer and what I may need to get at the store. If I do this then I don't find myself at 3 o'clock wondering what to have, not feeling like cooking and then going out to eat.

So just in case any of you need a little inspiration, uhhm, Janci, I am going to list my meal plan out for you all. And even though it isn't stated most meals have a bread or roll of some sort.

Day 1 scrambled eggs and hashbrowns
Day 2 stuffed shells and frozen fruit salad ((I WILL FREEZE HALF THIS SALAD FOR ANOTHER MEAL))) (((I PLAN ON FREEZING ENOUGH FOR 1 MEAL OF SHELLS NEXT MONTH)))
Day 3 Friday Night Pizza Night
Day 4 Crockpot bean soup
Day 5 Blueberry french toast bake for Valentines morning and sausage
Day 6 Rio Grande Quesadilla's
Day 7 Enchiladas and cornbread (((WILL ALSO FREEZE INDIVIDUAL SIZE ENCHILADAS FOR LATER LUNCHES FOR MYSELF)))
Day 8 oatmeal and fruit
Day 9 Friday Night Pizza Night
Day 10 potato soup (((THIS IS IN MY FREEZER ALREADY)))
Day 11 Oriental Stir Fry over rice
Day 12 Meatloaf and twice baked potatoes (((I PLAN TO FREEZE EXTRA TWICE BAKED POTATOES)))
Day 13 chicken pockets
Day 14 steak and Margy's Best Potatoes
Day 15 Friday Night Pizza Night
Day 16 beef stroganoff and corn
Day 17 spaghetti & meatballs and salad
Day 18 blueberry pancakes
Day 19 tamale pie and cornbread
Day 20 Friday Night Pizza Night

I would like to try to stay under budget so I can put aside some grocery money every month up until our Yellowstone vacation. Then I can buy those yummys that we normally don't buy and cost extra but are so fun on vacation.


PS. I somehow threw away my calendar!! So I am so glad I wrote it all out here or I would be back to the beginning.

2 comments:

KLB said...

wow, you are the woman. I have always wanted to do that. I just wish daniel had a normal schedule. He does not get ho me until 730 most nights of the month so Abby and I have created some interesting meals for just the two of us. :)

momaof4 said...

Way to go and thanks for sharing!! I need to get better about writing it out! Ugh. Miss you.