Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer School 2009

So last week we studied Australia and this week we are doing Africa. This week has been cut short a bit with swim lessons and then the zoo yesterday(the zoo has animals from Africa you know!) but we are learning. They at least can show me where the continents are and I am not sure they knew before this summer. And we are also having fun and are less bored. There are so many good books out there about each continent for kids. AND it has worked out nicely to help the kids in their summer reading program they are doing through our library. We also went to the Outback Steakhouse last week and it was really fun for the kids to see the decorations there.
Anyway I thought I would let you all know how it is going. There have been some things I have decided not to do, some are half done, and some I am so looking forward to doing later this summer. The paper mache globe is one of the half done things. After letting the first layer dry I just haven't been in the mood for that kind of mess again. I think I am going to try liquid cornstarch for the next layer and just haven't bought that yet. I will finish before the end of summer. So this is the progression of the "globe." The last picture is where they have sat for the last week. Out of the way of little kids reach.





The last picture is of some projects or work we have done since school has been out. The funny looking thing in the picture is a camel. Though, I guess to you, the koala may be funny looking too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a cool project!
~erin
thekarenchronicles.blogspot.com

KLB said...

What a great idea Dee. You are doing a splendid job!

momaof4 said...

Love the globe idea...

I have a book you might like with science stuff...hmm.

See you soon